Fireworks safety tips
By mbrooks on June 16, 2019
By Matthew Brooks
Fireworks have the potential for severe injuries. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says more than 53% of firework-related injuries are burns. Of those, more than half are injuries to the head, face, eyes, and ears.
The sparklers that are ubiquitous among kids can burn at 2,000 degrees, according to the National Safety Council.
The means sparklers contain enough heat to melt metal, ignite clothing, and burn skin. Sparklers dropped on bare feet is a cause of injury among children, according to the NSC.
The NSC says there are multiple reports of children losing fingers, and receiving severe burns. A jammed roman candle means there is an increased risk of injury.
The safety commission says a people should never try to “re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.”
The CPSC also recommends against buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper. This reason for this is that fireworks wrapped in brown paper are intended for professional displays. This could be a danger for consumers.
The CPSC says that afterward the user should douse the with plenty of water before trashing it to prevent a garbage fire.
The National Safety Commission offers more tips of firework safety.
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission also has guidance for firework safety.
For kid-friendly explanations, see KidsHealth.org.